Daniel Hogarth of Bradford, Yorkshire
by his grandson Alan Hogarth of Sydney, Australia.

From the Monthly Notices Vol. 80 of the Royal Astronomical Society

From the 1920 Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society

An Introduction

I am Alan Hogarth of Sydney, Australia.  The above obituaries concern my grandfather Daniel Hogarth (1842-1919).  One of them is from the Royal Meteorological Society and the other from the Royal Astronomical Society.  He was a Fellow of both.

Daniel was tried for kidnapping his nephew and found not guilty.  We have a transcript below of an article in the Bradford Evening Mail newspaper from November 1871.  It was typed -- not a photograph of the original.

At the foot of this page is also an apparent obituary for Daniel's father John Hoggarth, but I have no idea where this came from!  John was born at Lambrigg Park near Firbank, Westmorland (now Cumbria) on 20th April, 1793.

Precis of the Life of Daniel Hogarth

Daniel was born on 25th April, 1842 at High Bentham, Yorkshire, England.  He was one of four sons and two daughters born to a weaver, John Hoggarth (born 30th April, 1796 and died of old age on 21st August, 1887 at Gargrave, Yorkshire), and his wife Alice (formerly Kendal, nee Bairstow or Barston).  They were married at Colne, Lancashire on 7th March, 1829. They had six children; Thomas (christened 14th March, 1830), Ann (christened 18th September, 1831), Isabella (christened 30th June, 1833), John (christened 28th June, 1835), Abraham (born 21st November, 1837), and Daniel.  The wife, Alice, died of consumption on 24th September, 1850.  John married Esther Abbott on 25th November, 1850 and there was no issue from this marriage.

By the age of nine, Daniel was working in a cotton mill at Colne, Lancashire, as a winder.

On the 4th August, 1860, Daniel married Betty (Elizabeth or Betsy) Barnes, born on 31st March, 1841, at Blackburn, Lancashire.  They were both listed as weavers. There were two children born to them, Robert on 5th March, 1866, and Alice on 18th December, 1867. Robert died on 25th March, 1866, due to convulsions. Alice died on 21st June, 1868 of bronchitis. Betsy (or Betty) had already died at the age of 27 on 7th March, 1868, due to phthisis (a progressively wasting disease). At the time of his daughter’s death, Daniel was a “Traveller for a Spirit Merchant.”

In April. 1871, Daniel is listed as a “Foreman over Mill Machinists” but by October of the same year he had settled in business at Bradford as a Yarn and Commission Agent, and was charged by his sister-in-law with kidnapping his nephew, Walter.  The case was heard on Thursday, 23rd November, 1871 at Accrington and he was acquitted of the charge.

At some stage, he had a restaurant at Bradford, and during the famine of late 1878-1879, which swept the north of England at this time, Daniel proposed to give food to the poor at Bradford if ten other people would also contribute the same amount.  A Bible, in which was written “in remembrance of the winter 1878-1879 in Bradford”, was given to him in appreciation.  This Bible has been passed on down to a daughter, Alice, and then to the eldest of each generation of her family.

In 1879/1880 Daniel has two business addresses in Bradford; one being as a cotton yarn merchant at 12 Swaine St., and the other as an eating house keeper at 56 Kirkgate.

He arrived in Sydney on the schooner “Brilliant” on 15th November, 1879.  Listed with him on the passenger list are Mrs. Hogarth and Miss Hogarth. Apparently he returned to England prior to the census of 1881, because he is listed as a son in law to Hannah Cowperthwaite.  Also named are Eliza Hogarth as daughter, and Annie Hogarth as grand daughter. Presumably it was Eliza and Annie listed on the passenger list of the “Brilliant”.  See below for the history of Eliza and Annie.

Daniel returned to Australia some time between 1881 and 1892, as in 1892, he became the licensee of the Maclean Hotel on the North Coast of N.S.W. and by the end of the year an Alderman of the local Municipal Council until 1895.

Daniel left Maclean in 1895 and was married to my Grandmother, Mary Horton, on 14th June, 1895, at St. Paul’s Church of England, Cleveland St., Redfern.  Interestingly, he listed himself as “Bachelor.”

His wife was the daughter of a convict, John Horton, who was transported from England and arrived in Sydney on 18th February, 1833 for stealing pickles at the age of 17.  One morning at an inn named “Run ‘o Water” at Yarra, outside Goulburn, Mary was nursed by the bushranger Ben Hall while his breakfast was being made for him.  A cousin still has the shilling which Hall paid for his breakfast.

They had three daughters and two sons, Alice (born 13th September, 1895), Dorothy (born 7th November, 1896), Margaret (born 24th March, 1898), William (born 24th December, 1900) and my father Alexander (born 6th September, 1903).

Daniel became licensee of two hotels in Bathurst - the “Royal” in 1909 and the “Park.”  He may have been the licensee of the latter from 1896 and it was held in my Grandmother’s name at least to the early 1930s.

He and his wife went on a trip to England in 1912 and there is a cutting from a newspaper from England or Australia, probably dating to 1912 and which states in the last lines of his “securing during his London stay the all-world agency for the famous ‘Flor de Cristina’ cigars.”

During the world trip of 1912, Daniel “interviewed several leading men in reference to a proposal for the establishment of stations in the Arctic regions from which timely warning might be given of the break up of large ice masses such as caused the disaster to the Titanic.”  This commenced the North Atlantic Ice Patrol which is still carried on by the U.S. Coastguard using aircraft.  For this he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society on November 19th, 1913, and a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society on 14th February, 1914.

Daniel was also interested in astronomy and had a telescope.  He discovered something in the sky, a star, comet or something else. My brother, Gordon, saw a mention of it in a book, but is unable to remember the name of the book.

He commenced a Branch of “The Dickens Fellowship” in Sydney in 1913.

He was living in Sydney from 1913 onwards and died at his home at Lewisham, N.S.W., age 77, on 3rd February, 1919 due to heart disease.

Eliza and Annie Hogarth

Eliza Cowperthwaite was born on 19th March, 1848 at Bradford, Yorkshire.  She married Frederick White on 4th September, 1867 at Bradford and a daughter, Annie, was born to them on 15th January, 1868.

She at some time lived with Daniel as man and wife; at least between 1879 and 1881.  Why the relationship was never solemnified is unknown.

Eliza was still using the surname “Hogarth” when she is listed as the licensee of the ‘Flying Eagle Hotel’ in Paddington for the years 1893/1894.  Annie lived here at the time of her marriage and her first child was born at this address.

Eliza, surnamed White, married Alfred Hill on 18th February, 1897 in Sydney and is listed as widow.  This is two years after Daniel married Mary Horton. She died on 27th July, 1920 at Woollahra of senility and chronic nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys).

Annie, married William Joseph Gillett at the Registrar’s Office, Paddington, Sydney on 24th July, 1893.  Her surname is given as Hogarth and her parents Daniel Hogarth and Eliza Cowperthwaite.  The latter signed the certificate as a witness to the marriage using the name of Eliza Hogarth. Annie and William had four children, William, George, Ivy and Nellie.  Annie Gillett died at Woollahra on 22nd July, 1933 at the age of 65, due to arteriosclerosis, gastric haemorrhage and shock.

- Alan Hogarth (revised July 2005)


24th of November 1871
SECOND EDITION  (from our own reporter)

A most extraordinary case against one of our Townsmen, Daniel Hogarth, Yarn and Commission Agent, Bradford, was heard yesterday (Thursday) at the Accrington Petty Sessions.  He was charged with forcibly stealing Walter Hogarth, his Nephew, from his Mother, Hannah Hoyle.  Mr. Browning, Solicitor, Bradford, Appeared for the Defendant.  The boy in dispute is nearly eight years of age, and was neatly attired and looking very healthy; and the tenor of the defence, from the cross-examination, seemed to be neglect and cruelty on the part of the Mother.  For her first husband she married the defendant's brother, who died about four years ago, leaving her with three girls and a boy, Walter, the Eldest (the child in dispute.)

Prosecutrix, on being sworn, said: My boy left the house on Saturday, the 11th of November, and I did not see him again until last night with his Uncle.  I saw him in Blackburn Road, and I wanted to kiss him, and I tried to "rip" (tear) him from his Uncle, but I could not.  I was too weak, and have suffered from palpitation since my boy left me.  I asked a man to get the child from him, as it was my child.  He went and left me, and I could not follow him.

She was cross-examined at great length by Mr. Browning.  Her principal answers were:

I remember the Defendant coming over to my house when my husband was on his death-bed. I did not hear my husband ask him to take one of the Children.  He never told me he had done so.  Defendant wrote me a letter while my husband was lying dead in the house and offering to take one, but I did not feel inclined to part with one.  I wrote to him last Christmas for relief, and he came over on New Years day (Sunday).  He came about 10 o'clock.  The children were partially dressed.  We had none of us had any breakfast.  They were not filthy and dirty.  I had been to the Ragged School Tea Meeting the night previous.  Robert Hoyle, whom I married, and another man was there.  I took in Lodgers.  I didn't live improperly with Hoyle.  I didn't promise him Walter that day, nor at any other time.  He asked for the youngest child, and I asked how Walter would do, but I was only trying him.  I had no intention of giving it him.  I did not tell Betty Taylor I had promised him.  The boy stayed out all night once or twice,and slept in out-houses.  I did not say "I wish he would take Walter, as he is bad to manage".

The Clerk: Do you mean to say a boy not seven has been out all night ?

Witness: He has once or twice.

By Mr. Browning: I am not sure that I told the Police I wish he were in a Reformatory School.  He has had a sore head, but it was not through neglect. I married Hoyle a fortnight ago. He has beaten the lad, at my request, before he married me.  He used a strap.  He has not knocked him down with his fists.

Do you know that the lad has complained to the Ragged School Teacher, Mr. Bentley, that he stayed out because you and Hoyle thrashed him?

No.  The Defendant came one day when Hoyle was in, and was indignant. He said we had been thrashing the boy, and if we touched him again he would have us sent to Prison. I did not say boastingly "we will beat him before your face."  I said if the child did wrong I would beat him in his presence.  Surely a Parent can beat her child.  He has never been used cruelly.  When the lad went out on Saturday he had a mended pair of trousers on, but no braces to them, but pieces of string.  His shirt had been on a week.  That is common.  I have no changes.  It might be without buttons, but it was not filthy.  His clogs were cracked and would let water in.  His stockings had holes in.  He was told to come to tea, at five o'clock, and left the house about four o'clock.

I seized, him while he was with the defendant.  He did not say "Oh! Don't let my Mother take me." -- Mr. Browning then directed Witnesses attention to the boy and asked her if he was not looking better than when with her.

Witness said "No he is not. He is better dressed, but his cheeks are not so rosy. (Laughter).  Mr. Browning: Would you be surprised if I had to call people who say he is so much altered they scarcely knew him?  Witness: Oh, you have stuffed them up. (Laughter).  I have no Witnesses. You got hold of them, and they have gone over to your side.

Mr. Browning submitted that no evidence had been supplied affecting his Client.

Prosecutrix then called Ellen Dixon, a married woman, and neighbour.  She said, in reply to Prosecutrix: I told the Defendant where your boy was.  We found him in a hot-pea shop, in the Market-Place, and he went with the Defendant willingly.

Mr. Browning: What was his condition?

Witness: Better than usual.

Mr. Browning: How were his Clogs?

Witness: They were split open, and had great holes in; so had his stockings.  He was wet up to the knees nearly.

Mr. Browning: How does this woman keep her children?

Witness: To tell the truth, I think if a woman had any 'shift' (tact, readiness) in her, she could keep them better than she does hers. I wouldn't like mine to be kept like them.

Mr. Browning: I dare say not. What do you think of the boy?  Is he looking better?

Witness: Yes, a great deal.  He is looking like what he should, and right glad I am to see him. If I couldn't keep a child better than she does, I would be thankful for someone to come to look after it better.

Mr. Browning: I dare say you would.

He respectfully submitted that the case against his Client had not been proved.

Mr. Grimshaw, the Chairman of the Bench, after consulting with. the Clerk, said there was no case in Law against the Defendant. The Magistrates were pleased at that. They thought that the woman instead of prosecuting the Uncle ought to be sincerely glad that he would take the boy and bring him up, so that he might a future day be a support to his Mother. If the Mother brought him up as she had been doing, he would certainly find his way to Penal Servitude, and her feeling for the boy was only a morbid one.

The Prosecutor: He has stolen the child; and I would sooner bury it than he should have it. He is a bad character. I have a letter from a young woman in Accrington who has a child to him. (Holding up a letter).

Mr. Browning assured the Bench that the woman's allegations were utterly false, and that Mr. Hogarth bore a very respectable character in Bradford, where he was in business on his own account, and he wanted the boy to fulfil the promise made to his brother on his death-bed, and to save him from going into crime and to a Reformatory.

Mr. Grimshaw: It is a great pity she has no such feelings.

The Clerk said a more selfish woman he had not met with in all his experience, and he had a great deal.

Mr. Grimshaw: The case is dismissed.

The Parties then retired, and a large crowd surrounded the Mother and child outside.  She was allowed to kiss the boy, which she did frantically, and he was then borne off by his Uncle.  The legality of the decision is much discussed.


At the ripe old age of 94 years John Hogarth of Gargrave, peacefully breathed his last on Sunday.

Born at Lambrigg Park near Firbank, Westmorland on April 20th, 1793, John had the misfortune to lose both parents soon after his birth and was in consequence put out to be brought up by a local shoemaker.  As soon as he was able to work he followed the calling of a farm labourer until he left his native county and settled in Colne, where he was put to handloom weaving.  After living some time at Colne he removed to Brunton House on the old road between Giggleswick and Clapham, then to Birtwhistle's yard in Skipton, finally settling down in the Old Hall Fold at Gargrave, where he lived for 21 years.

Hogarth was twice married, first at Colne to a Cornish woman named Alice Bairstow, by whom he had six children - four sons and two daughters.  Three sons and one daughter are dead, the surviving son formerly being in business in the Bradford trade, and at present carrying on a successful business at Sydney, New South Wales.  The daughter married Mr. R. O. Mitchell of Gargrave and was living with her father for some years previous to and at the time of his death.  His second wife was a Gargrave woman - Esther Abbot - who died some years ago, but there was no issue by the marriage.

Hogarth never knew what a day's sickness was until six years ago, since which time he has been quite childish and for the last three years bedridden.

In early life he enlisted as a drummer but was prevented from joining his regiment.  His remains were interred on Wednesday afternoon in Gargrave Parish Churchyard.

Send Alan Hogarth an E-mail.

Go back to the Jigsaw Puzzle index